Wednesday 8 June 2011

At your service 1

I’m finding it hard to get service in Nigeria. By and by, I’ve concluded we are just an exchange nation, no more, no less. Giving service seems so foreign to our nature.

Imagine this, I stay in a hotel and find that my bed was not properly, the pillows were a different story altogether. My complaints make me a difficult customer.

You want to know why - to the hotel, the transaction was a place to stay for the cash I paid. Making my stay pleasurable was not part of the deal. Why would I want to visit the hotel again? Guess they don't even want back else I would have been treated better.

But I’m finding that this is not an isolated event, the trader who sees no value in making her shop comfortable for the buyer or having a friendly face, the nurse who welcomes you with a scowl, need I say more?

Perhaps someday, we’ll get there but for now, we only trade in goods and no services attached.

No comments: