Wednesday 8 June 2011

At your service 2

If you've ever travelled out of the country, one of the things you'll notice is that foreign immigration officials treat you better than the immigration officials in Nigeria.

I think it all narrows down to not understanding that they provide a service. They represent the first impression you have of a country. I think the foreign immigration officials recognize that hence they try their best to make you enjoy their country.

While waiting to get my passport stamped, a foreign immigration official gave me a little guide to the country – “it's as big as.....”, “tourism represents one of our biggest income earners” etc.

I wonder if foreigners get this sort of education when they come to my country. But between you & I, we know they don't.

Service is about serving others. Even the police need to realize that their job is not to catch criminals but to serve and protect the citizens of the country. If they did, they would treat people with more courtesy.

When we truly start offering service, then we give better meaning and value to each other.

No comments: